Hoya HMC 49mm ND-8 (0.9) Multi-Coated Neutral Density Filter A-49ND8-GB
- Eliminates overly bright, washed-out images.
- Balances exposures.
- Increases control of depth of field.
- Equally effective in color or black and white photography.
- Multi Coated for flare prevention.
This ND8 filter reduce the amount of light entering the lens so wider apertures can be selected, which is perfect for portraiture to reduce depth of field. Subject appears crisp and clear while the background becomes a soft blur. Also widely used for photographs of waterfalls and other nature scenes to emphasize movement.
In conditions of extreme light intensity, such as sunshine on snowy mountains or on the beach, or when using a camcorder, ND (Neutral Density) filters are recommended as essential.
Neutral Density filters are often ignored by photographers, but they have several uses and offer the possibility to achieve otherwise unachievable results. ND filters appear grey and reduce the amount of light reaching the film, they have no affect on color balance.
With ND-8 Filter Without Filter
They have four main uses:
- To enable slow shutter speeds to be used, especially with fast films, to record movement in subjects such as waterfalls, clouds, cars, seas etc.
- To decrease depth of field by allowing wider apertures to be used, which helps separate subjects from their background.
- To decrease the effective ISO of high speed film (ie: above ISO400) and allow it to be used outdoors in blight situations.
To allow cine and video cameras (which have fixed shutter speeds) to film subjects such as snow, sand or other bright scenes which would normally cause over-exposure.
NDx2 NDx4 NDx8 Shutter Spped/ 1 Stop 2 Stops 3 Stops ISO Film Speed 1/2 1/4 1/8
ISO Film Speed