Hoya 77mm Variable Neutral Density ND3-ND400 ND DSLR Digital Filter A-77VDY
- Filter Factor NDx3-NDx400
- Approx 1.5 to 8.5 stops light reduction
- Black Almite Frame with satin finish to reduce reflections.
- Low Profile Frame - avoids vignetting on super wide-angle lenses, will accept a clip-cap.
- Rotating inner filter ring with scale indicating max. through to min. settings
The Hoya Variable Density filter uses two polarizing layers to control the amount of light that passes through the filter and into the camera lens. At its minimum effect the filter passes 1/3 of the light in a scene. That is equal to 1.5 stops on the aperture or shutter speed. At its maximum effect the filter passes just 1/400 of the light in a scene. That is equal to 9 stops on the aperture or shutter speed.
After the filter is mounted on the lens, turning the filter ring between 'Min' and 'Max' can greatly control the amount of light entering the lens. With the Hoya Variable Density filter it is possible to shoot with fast lenses like 50mm f/1.4 lenses wide open at f/1.4 in full sun for a very shallow depth of field. Or, to slow down the shutter speed to where the shutter can be open for several seconds in full sunlight. This is enough to create artistic blurring shots of motion on water, cars, people or almost anything that moves. The creative possibilities are endless.
The Hoya Variable Density filter uses high-quality optical glass from Hoya Corporation, the worlds largest optical glass manufacturer and is available in sizes 52mm to 82mm.
For best results Hoya recommends using a tripod when photographing at slow shutter speeds.
Filter Properties At A Glance
- Front Threads No
- Accepts Snap In Lens Cap No
- Filter Ring Depth (Less Threads) 7mm
- Coating None
- Filter Factor1.5 to 9 - Stops